Approaching Kolding’s old royal castle evokes a sense of awe from its ramparts high above the town. This is intentional as Koldinghus was built to keep watch over the kingdom’s southern borders in the 13th century. Since 1808, a part of the castle was left in ruins. But from 1976 to 1993, the ruins were gradually enclosed and protected by new, modern structural components. Today the castle houses Koldinghus Museum.